On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 12:00 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (I am not really sure if this is nice: tagging as a tower, which it
> technically isn't, and then specify in the tower-subtag, which kind of
> "non-tower" it really is. Though we (? some?) do this with tunnels as
> well (I don't actually, I prefer covered)).

Personally I think this is fine. It may not be perfectly "semantically
clean", but it poses no difficulties in terms of implementation in
editors, renderers etc. So, this works fine:

man_made=tower
tower=radio_mast

One test to apply when considering stuff like this: what would happen
if a renderer supported "man_made=tower" but none of the sub-tags.
Would it be the end of the world if a radio mast and an air traffic
control tower were rendered the same? (Answer: no, it would be
perfectly fine)

> Another approach would be to tag man_made=antenna (or mast) with maybe
> other subtags.

That would be fine too. The only risk is that more often, the thing
doesn't get rendered at all, because it's yet one more tag that
everything needs to support.

Steve