We talked about improving/changing the proposal process a few weeks ago to bypass problems like
*people dislike voting chause of it's very limited nature
*it should be a more 'show your design and improve it together with others' (as already said by others). *make it media indipendend so mailinglists users get notified in the same way as forums, wiki,.... users
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2010-August/004023.html
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2010-September/004342.html
But we didn't succeed with a single brilliant idea.

For this proposal IMHO the users who removed the proposal should be notified and the author should be allowed to add his new feature to the map features page. He fullfilled all requirements with his proposal

regards
Matthias