On 01/01/2011 18:09, Richard Welty wrote:
On 1/1/11 12:40 PM, Anthony wrote:
On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Richard Welty<rwe...@averillpark.net> wrote:
On 1/1/11 11:52 AM, Anthony wrote:
On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Greg Troxel<g...@ir.bbn.com>    wrote:
By trying to objectively tag the reality (not entirely possible of
course), we also avoid all the debates about what is and isn't safe in
general, and where the dividing line is.
In this case I'm not even sure it's physically possible for a bicycle
to fit in the supposed bicycle lane, let alone safe.
the debate over whether we should include judgmental informantion
in tags (especially for bike lanes) has been going on for a while.
maybe we need a tag which is understood to sometimes be judgmental.
What do you mean by "judgmental"?
there have been arguments about whether safety considerations
should factor into bike lane tagging, with some taking the posture
that only physical and legal attributes should be mapped, and others
wanting to include their judgment about whether a particular lane
or path is "safe" for some definition of safe.

The main problem with subjective data was that people wanted to use the existing tags designed to describe the legality to describe "difficulty" (ability) of a way.

As long as different tags are used (as you describe) I see no problem with providing warnings

Cheers
Dave F.