On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:22:55 +0100, Josh Doe <j...@joshdoe.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com> wrote:

One problem I see with these kinds of proposals is that they map very
well to a particular jurisdiction or standard, but will be very hard
to apply elsewhere. Perhaps the distinction of <3cm, =3cm, >3cm is
very common somewhere - but what would you do in an area where the
standard distinction is 2.5cm? Or 4cm? Go and measure every kerb?

So maybe it's better to divide it into two halves: in one part, talk
about the functional aspects (flat, flush, can roll over etc). In
another part, map those functional distinctions onto physical ranges
on a regional basis ("in the eastern states of the US, flush means
...").

Alternatively, just leave the heights as indicative - but make it
clear we map on a functional basis.

Also is your table missing a way to tag kerbs between 3cm and 16cm?
(And lastly, you have 0.03cm instead of 0.03m in one place)

I think we're definitely going for functional. The original author used
those height ranges, and I'm not sure if there's any value to mention
something specific like 16cm, so I changed it to ~0cm for flush, ~3cm for
lowered, and >3cm for raised. I've edited the proposal to that effect.

I'm the original author. I was going to bring it up in tagging but I got behind in mapping collected data, and have been working more recently.

I originally started with functional values, but as a compromise to a few people suggesting that we should use just a measurement I added a approx height range for each value.

I think we need to re-add a kerb=normal in to replace the original kerb=yes. It possibly could be useful to mark if a traffic island is raised or not, or if a kerb separates say a cycle lane from a road. It ranges is possible anything above 0.03m to 0.16

Also raised needs to be changed back to ~>0.16m as it was intend to indicate raised kerbs for bus stops etc.