On Wed, 23 Nov 2011, Nathan Edgars II wrote:

> On 11/23/2011 5:40 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> > Yes, this would fit the proposed tag. As you can see from your picture
> > not beeing aware about the tide situation can cost your life. IMHO
> > this kind of road merits its own main highway tag, it would be too
> > dangerous to rely on subtags, and it's overall characteristics are too
> > different from a "normal road" (a road which doesn't get regularily
> > flooded).
>
> This is similar to a low water crossing:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_water_crossing
> I don't think we use any special highway=* tags for those, or for other roads
> that may be dangerous at times (e.g. heavy snow, military proving grounds). If
> someone ignores signs and physical conditions, it's not our fault, and we
> shouldn't tag incorrectly to get routing software to ignore these roads.

Agreed. Otherwise we'll end up never-ending arguments about how
frequently the road has to be dangerous to warrant such special tags
and what danger is dangerous enough. ...Instead I wish that hazard=* (or
like) tag and namespace would be developed and standardized to collect
this kind of information.

--
 i.