Hi.
Partly that's true: non-standard tags are kind of the hell for coders, who have to implement lots of variants sometimes for similar information retrieval.
But I vote for doing that
1) only manually in the database, step by step.
or
2) only to add redundant tags automatically, not to remove the "deprecated" tags. Even that has to be done carefully and after a discussion, where the majority of the discussing people agree to the new variant.

There are very very very few tags, that have the same meaning. Often tag meanings intersect, and two variants can express similar or even the same issues, but on the other hand most often different meanings can occur in combination with third tags. If it is possible to create a bot that "fixes" this, why not provide the part of a osmosis command chain to fix it in the preprocessing for applications?

Yes: we have to get rid of "old" or "deprecated" tags, but OSM does not know about "deprecation" - deprecated is, what's not in use anymore. But as often: Use is the amount of work and the number of people knowing and using a tag, not the first bot using or deleting a special tag.

Therefore:
1) try to use the tags as they are, even with software
2) where it get's too cluttered, add your preferred tags redundant to the objects, keeping the other tags - and discuss this with the community before 3) speak with users, who add the "old" variant to convince them to use the new variant instead 4) speak to other software developers to support the new (and for editor software "deprecate" the old) variant. 5) Document it in the wiki: especially mention it in pages referring to the old scheme.

Overall: be careful at forcing a new tagging scheme, where a different one is in favour of the majority, and don't change documentation, as long as that's the case.

regards
Peter