Hi,

On 04.08.2012 18:10, Werner Poppele wrote:
According to the Wiki-page, the tag amenity=waste_basket should be put
to a node. I found ways tagged with this tag [1] in Bakersfield,
California. Is that wrong ?

Some things are clearly wrong; some things are clearly correct. Between them there streches the vast expanse called the mapper's discretion.

If mappers have different opinions, then I tend to side with whoever is local. So if you pass that waste basket on your way to work every day and you think it should really be a node only, or it should really be a recycling bin, or whatever, then change it.

If, on the other hand, you're looking at this from the other side of the country or even the other side of the planet, then it is ok to ask the locals what they've been up to (possibly explaining why you think the object should be tagged differently) but you shouldn't be changing anything.

If there are people who think that mapping waste baskets as ways is a good idea then why not amend the Wiki page which, as you say, currently lists that tag for nodes only.

Bye
Frederik