I would opt for (b) even though I know that this is not the "offcial" way
of tagging.
The reason:
In section (4) the driver can still change lanes, at least on the middle
lanes, whereas in section (5)  he cannot  (legally) change lanes any more
between the middle lanes.
This example clearly illustrates the - known - limitations of the presently
used tagging scheme.

Volker