Frederik Ramm wrote:
> I have a suspicion that this duplication of tags is largely the
> result of OpenSeaMap trying to opt out of the rest of the
> community - "if we use our own namespace then we don't
> have to discuss with those landlubbers". We have not
> bothered much about that as long as OpenSeaMap tagged
> offshore stuff

But we should.

OSM is not a hosting platform for a thousand-and-one discreet mapping
projects. It is one big database that anyone can consult.

You can't just say "we're building Bill'sMarineMap, so I'm going to stuff
the database with Bill's custom tags which Bill'sMarineMap will use". How
OSM works is that you use universal tags that any client can parse. We
survey for OSM, not for Bill'sMarineMap; because Fred or Brian or Jill or
Winston might want to make a sea map, too.

I'm making waterway maps from OSM data. If I want to make a map of the River
Trent Navigation from source to sea, including the canals that branch off
it, I shouldn't have to parse four distinct tagging schemes devised for
individual projects: "OpenSeaMap tagging scheme", the "OpenCanalMap tagging
scheme", the "OpenRiverMap tagging scheme", and the "standard OSM tagging
scheme". I should just have to parse OSM tags.

cheers
Richard