Hi,

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with the SeaMap, I'm just a coast dweller.

Am 23.11.2012 11:48, schrieb Frederik Ramm:
True - a cemetery is a cemetery and whether or not cemeteries are used as landmarks by seamen doesn't change that.

I do not see, that the seamark:xxx=cemetery will replace the landuse=cemetery, so I do not see a fearable change there. I see that there is a notable difference for navigating purposes possible - not every cemetery on the sea is automagically a seamark:xxx - but I may be corrected here.

It is inconceivable to have something tagged "landuse=cemetery" and "seamark:landmark:category=ferris_wheel".

Please keep on the spur - no one talks about such main differences - but you cannot tag two different impacts with just one simple tag.

Furthermore, is "landmark" really something that can be sensibly limited to the scope of naval tagging? Can there be something that is a landmark for navigation on water but not a landmark for other purposes, and vice versa?

Living in Karlsruhe this is said easily - no pun intended - but living at the coast I know of the differences even I am no 'seaman'. Yes, I consider some landmarks only visible on land and some seamark:landmark only visible by sea.
The problem is, to distinguish those at the 'border strip'.

Will OpenSeaMap soon start adding "seamark:type=shop", "seamark:shop=convenience" to existing "shop=convenience" objects if these shops can be used by sailors?

Now I think you draw a 'Black man' (bogeyman) on a black wall ...

We have bothered much about that as long as OpenSeaMap tagged offshore stuff but I think we cannot tolerate this on the 30% of the world surface that have 99.9% of the data ;)

Well, 'routable maps' and 'navigation charts' are for quite the same purpose - but each need there own special tags sometimes, may be even on the same object.

I do not see that some(!) additional data on a border strip is really a problem here.

Georg