I'm not a fan of "garde1" ... "grade5". I always, always, always have to
look up the meanings when using it for track type (even though JOSM has a
drop down list, the meaning are not given within JOSM).

How about something like "light" (push back with hands, walk around),
"medium" (as with light but may require a little bit of climbing/stepping
over, and "heavy" (requires chopping tools to cut). Personally I think
anything requiring a saw or more time consuming tools should be separated
out in its own tag. However if you want to include it I suggest
"densely_overgrown".

Rob