Regardless of whether or not a direction tag is considered I think the
following three items should be met:

1. Should be consistent for both mapping signs and signals. At least for
stop signs in the areas I drive, they seem to present the same mapping
issues (location to mark, directionality of traffic they control, etc.) as
traffic signals.

2. Should be easy for non-expert mappers to add and edit. Relations are
conceptually nice for many things. But the tools to make them easy to add
and especially to edit seem to be difficult for many users.

3. Should be easy for the data consumers to parse and use. No so much
worried about display purposes as for routing in this case.

I personally find the traffic_signal:direction tag to be clunky, but it is
in the wiki for traffic signals where many/most mappers will find it. And
traffic signals are a member of the same class as stop and yield signs in
my mind: Things that control right of way at an intersection.

-Tod