On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 1:23 AM, Tod Fitch <t...@fitchdesign.com> wrote:

> I personally find the traffic_signal:direction tag to be clunky, but it is
> in the wiki for traffic signals where many/most mappers will find it. And
> traffic signals are a member of the same class as stop and yield signs in
> my mind: Things that control right of way at an intersection.

It's more than "clunky". It's simply failing when someone is reversing
the way direction with its prefered editor...

I will repeat here what I already said about traffic signals : I also
don't like relations in general excepted when we have no alternative.
Everybody shall be able to add a node saying "here is a traffic light"
or "here is a stop sign". But once you want it to be workable by
software, it will need to be linked to its intersection. And for this,
the best solution is the relation. It could be even added
half-automatically (with some manual validation) when it's missing by
searching the nearest intersection (could be a job for a QA tool). I
guess something similar is done for speed traps.

Pieren