On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> Tagging proposals do not have the power to "deprecate" existing tags,
> and I have changed the wiki pages accordingly. Using the wording "this
> tag has now been deprecated" always leads to someone trying to make a
> mass change but we don't want that.

It is understandable to avoid mass updates just because 20 people voted in
favor of a different tag. However, what the wiki post on deprecated doesn't
describe is when is it appropriate to change tags? Is it ok to change one
or ten remaining tags to reflect the current tag? Is it a percentage of
use? For example, if amenity=bakery only accounted for 5% of the total
shop=bakery + amenity=bakery, would it be ok to change? Right now
amenity=bakery is less than 1% of the total uses of bakery.

The reason I ask is to simplify searching. Certainly in the case of bakery,
a 1% error might be tolerable in most instances. However, if the query was
from a small bbox, the results could be significant.

Wouldn't it be better if we had a policy that explicitly sets a threshold
when it is appropriate to change the tag? I am not suggesting that I
disagree with your wiki page, what I am looking for is discussion on when
it is appropriate to update tags.

--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch