Am 07.12.2013 00:11, schrieb Peter Wendorff:
> IMHO the whole area may be a residential area, and residential includes
> residential highways, houses, small parks and much more,
> But I wouldn't say the whole area is a garden, so a garden should only
> be tagged where there is a garden or mainly a garden.
> In addition a single garden is a single garden, while a residential area
> may consists of several blocks.
> Two gardens are two gardens and should be mapped as two objects in OSM,
> I think.
>
> regards
> Peter

+1

If nobody disagrees, I would like to modify the first sentence of the
wiki to the following.

"A garden is a distinguishable planned space, usually outdoors, set
aside for the display, cultivation, and enjoyment of plants and other
forms of nature."

And the last sentence of the description:

"Meant to tag the land area itself, which might be for example fenced or
distinguishable by its vegetation."

If you do not want to use a new tag for public gardens, those should at
least be mentioned at leisure=garden. Now the description seems to be
written generally for private gardens. Which could also mean, that it is
necessary to add access=yes to the POI, if it should be noticed as such.
This would imply some sentences like:

"A garden can also be a part of a park and open to the public. This can
be indicated by adding access=yes. If there is no clear border of the
area, it is recommended to use a node to describe the object."

I guess this would be the more accepted solution instead of creating a
new tag for gardens dedicated to the public, as parks seem to be at the
OSM Wiki.

Cheers
cracklinrain