If we follow the idea of "mapping what's on the ground", then it seems
reasonable to say that none of the tags we have discussed so far
represents the ground more objectively than the "surface" tag. All
other tags attempt to describe how the ground behaves in different
situations (when used for transit by different kinds of vehicles or by
people). But since "surface" has more uses than for routing decisions
(be them automated or made visually), it would have to be mapped
anyway. When I suggested combining
tracktype+smoothness+mtb:scale+sac_scale into a single surface
classification tag, I didn't mean to discard the surface tag (I've put
it in that equivalence table only for comparison).

Since I understand that "tracktype" and "smoothness" are intended for
a similar purpose (representation of "trafficability"), I think that
smoothness=bad would need to be broken down into 4 new values in order
for that tag to gain acceptance with people who advocate for the
tracktype tag (see that equivalence table that I tried to compile).
These values could then be named: "not_that_bad", "little_bad",
"kinda_bad", and "quite_bad". :P

For tracktype to be acceptable to those who advocate for the
smoothness tag, we need these new values: "grade1b", "grade1c" and
"grade2b".

Suppose we add these values to both tags. Then, I'd consider almost
equivalent in practice. Then, it makes sense to pick only one of them.
I'd choose "smoothness" only because it's been designed with more
vehicle types and also with bikes and wheelchairs in mind. But I don't
like how its values are named and I'd support changing that if that's
the way we go. If we can't change its values, then I'd pick tracktype.

Either choice (tracktype or smoothness) would completely ignore the
needs of pedestrians and cyclists (as my last graph reveals), lumping
in the same 2 classes (grade7/grade8 or horrible/very_horrible) ways
of various conditions for these users. One can assume that these users
would happily continue to use mtb:bike and sac_scale for further
"trafficability" refinement. But you see, we'd still have 3 tags to
express "trafficability", each becoming more relevant at a different
point of the trafficability spectrum.

Maybe I'm rushing things and we first need to decide on tracktype vs
smoothness and, if we can agree on something, then decide if such
chosen tag has any value for the desired rendering decision that
started this debate. I believe either of them do, so whatever we
choose, it's fine for me, because all I wish right now is to arrive at
a well agreed system that allows us to render these "bad" roads using
Mapnik's default OSM-Carto style.