Hello,

> John
> an onsen doesn't necessarily have water available, but, if water is
available, it must be from a hot spring?
Correct.

> Onsen is not English word
Exactly.
But I don't know the correct word to represent "Onsen" in English.
Is "[something]=hot_spring_bath" better?

I think, "Onsen" is the very unique word to represent "bathing amenity,
that water from natural hot spring".
So, I would like to hear the situations of other countries.

> Martin
> amenity=public_bath + subtag
Thank you. It seems nice approach with no conflict to existing scheme.
So detailed possible values are ...

1. bath:type = *
 * [onsen or hot_spring_bath]
 * [sento or not_from_spring]
 * [foot_bath] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashiyu)
(I'm not a native speaker, suggestions for more proper expression are
welcome!)

And, to represent existent of "Roten buro(open air bathing amenity)" or
not, what about to use following tag?
Like the key:open_air. (Although only 3 use.)
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/open_air
2. bath:open_air = [yes|no]

Cheers.

> > Am 05/mar/2014 um 17:56 schrieb Satoshi IIDA <nyamp...@gmail.com>:
> >
> > The water of "onsen" bathing amenity is from always natural.
> > And in precise, it is upper 25'C and must have mineral element. (by law)
> >
> > Not from natural water bathing amenity, it must be called "Sento (bath
> house, rough meaning "Bath with coin/cheap fee")".
> > In fact, some onsen amenity has no water for their amenity.
> > But they are called as "onsen". Such as "sand bath", or "steam bath
> (sauna)".
> >
> > BTW their mutual function is "the warmth or water is from natural".
> >
> > > * there are many natural, undelopped hot springs in Japan.
> > >   Are those also called "onsen"?
> > In the case of.
> > The common, so called, and main meaning of "onsen" is targeted to
> represent bathing amenity.
> >
> > By JP law, very natural hot spring with mineral is classified as...
> > * under 25'C water: Kousen (mineral spring)
> > * upper 25'C water: Onsen (hot spring)
> >
> > I could propose following tag combinations to represent "onsen" amenity,
> but certainly I think they are not your concern ;)
> > Maybe it is better with another proposal, I would like to hear other
> country's situation.
> >
> > * Onsen Hotel
> > tourism=hotel (or something other, B&B)
> > leisure=onsen
> >
> > * Onsen without lodging
> > amenity=public_bath
> > leisure=onsen
> >
> > * Hotel with Onsen, can use onsen as public_bath also (Higaeri Onsen in
> Japanese)
> > tourism=hotel (or something other, B&B)
> > amenity=public_bath
> > leisure=onsen
> >
> > * Sento (bathing amenity using water not from hot spring)
> > amenity=public_bath
>

> what about using amenity=public_bath
> and then subtype to have specific values according to your legislation and
> standards, sth. like
> bath:type=onsen / sento etc.
> or maybe jp:onsen to give a hint that it is not in English
>
> cheers,
> Martin

Satoshi IIDA
mail: nyamp...@gmail.com