On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 7:18 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know in Brazil, but in Italy or Germany the maxspeed for built-up
> areas does not correspond perfectly with the settlement extension but is
> indeed yet another thing to consider. It is basically defined by street
> signs (start / end of a settlement according to the driving laws), and we
> map these signs on nodes aside the highway with traffic_sign=city_limit
> (name=*) and split the highway there and map the speed limit as maxspeed=50
> (or whatever your default is) and source:maxspeed=IT:urban (or DE:urban
> etc.)
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key%3Asource%3Amaxspeed  (we add those
> source:maxspeed tags so we could hypothetically adjust the speedlimit in
> case the law was changed, therefore we also suggest to map
> source:maxspeed=sign if there is an additional sign which confirms the
> default).

That's essentially the same as in Brazil. Mapping the perimeter would
not replace mapping maxspeeds for each way individually.

> For settlements (in urbanism / settlement geographic terms) my suggestion is
> to use place=* on an area.

Wouldn't that make users confused when reading search results? The
place=* tag is already used in cities' admin centre node and
(sometimes, perhaps incorrectly) admin boundary relation.

> Please do not use landuse=residential for huge areas with all kind of
> landuses inside.

That's precisely what we want to avoid.

Maybe we need a new tag for that.

> cheers,