I like Nelson's idea of using a new value for "boundary" to represent
this, mainly because the perimeter is not "ground truth" but an
invisible "legal definition" that roughly matches the urbanized area.
I was wondering if this concept exists elsewhere so that we can even
propose such value in a way that's reusable worldwide.

Here Maps represents the urban perimeter in Brazil just like this
dotted line across a river near Berlin and the area inside it:
http://here.com/52.5804776,13.2183974,18,0,0,normal.day

But in the case of Berlin, it could be Here Maps' arbitrary choice,
not a legally significant area.

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Nelson A. de Oliveira
<nao...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 7:18 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For settlements (in urbanism / settlement geographic terms) my suggestion is
>> to use place=* on an area.
>
> There is one problem when using place: people start to duplicate data.
> What is already present/available in the place node is duplicated in
> the place area. Sometimes it also causes data mismatch (population
> with one value in the node and a different one in the area, different
> classifications, names, etc).
>
> The urban perimeter tag should be as simple as possible, without
> giving a chance for data duplication.
>
>> Please do not use landuse=residential for huge areas with all kind of
>> landuses inside.
>
> Using landuse=residential is exactly what we want to avoid.

Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409

"Nullius in verba."