I understand access=customers, it is okay tag for this case. But what does
customers=climbers mean? How do you distinguish climbers from others?..
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/customers#values says there 25
instances with 4 values, but what exactly do they mean?

If customers=climbers mean than you should be member of some closed group
of people (scholar, climber, staff) or with "invitation only" rules, then
you should just use access=private IMO.