Dan S wrote, on 2014-08-08 11:31:
Tom - yes you understood me right :)

Thanks

There is no one who check whether your a climber or not or want to have
a fee - but these path are not aimed to be used by the general public.

I admit that access=customers doesn't fit here so
summed up we have these approaches:
   access=destination
   destination=climbing

Just to reinforce the opinion, "access=destination" forbids through traffic,
in this case general hikers taking a short cut. This is what we want, and using
an established tag for this purpose. The second tag explains the details.

or
   access=climbers

While "climbing" is already an established value from sport=climbing,
"climbers" would be a new one with very low usage numbers, thus less likely
to be evaluated in routers/renderers.

or
   access=no
   climbing=yes

As Dan said, this would introduce a new tag with little usage.

Tom

I'm ok with each of them but which one should be documented in the wiki

I'd vote for the first one (destination). I'm not keen on the third
one since climbing=* would need to become widely recognised as an
access tag, which doesn't feel very scaleable.

Best
Dan