-1

A renderer/router is perfectly capable of deciding what he thinks is
paved/unpaved. He can decide whether he calls gravel / fine_gravel paved or
unpaved. Do not leave the decision paved/unpaved  up to the mapper. Map
what you see. As you may have guessed I prefer surface=asphalt over
surface=paved since the last one could mean that it is gravel.

Cheers
PeeWee32

> yes, agree strongly. Surface= is a good tag, provides important info but
> it is far too fine grained. Someone setting up a route cannot be
> expected to sift through all the possible values.
>
> Similarly, we may well have a chance to get the renderers to respect a
> clear, on/off tag like the proposed and show it on the maps too.
>
> I see no problem with both tags being used.
>
> I think sometimes we put too much detail in the database and risk making
> the data unusable because of that. Mention making the data usable, we
> see charges of "tagging for the renderer". But this is important, I have
> detailed life threatening issues resulting from unclear maps. This
> proposal will provide valuable, dare I say "usable" info for consumers !
>
> David
>
> On Sat, 2014-09-20 at 23:42 +0200, Tomasz Kaźmierczak wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I've posted the below message on the forum, and have been directed
> > from there to this mailing list, thus re-posting it.
> >
> > Idea
> >
> > I would like to suggest making the paved key for highways (and
> > probably other types of elements) official. Taginfo for paved:
> > http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/paved#values
> >
> > The above shows that the key is already being used, but the Wiki
> > doesn't describe this key, instead redirecting Key:paved to the
> > article about Key:surface.
> >
> > Rationale
> >
> > Currently, the surface key is being used as a way of saying that a
> > given highway is paved or unpaved, but often the value for the surface
> > key is not a generic paved or unpaved, but a specific surface type is
> > given.This is of course very useful for describing the particular
> > surface type a given highway has. However, in some cases, a simple
> > information on just whether a highway is paved or not, would be very
> > useful. One such case would be navigation software – if a user chooses
> > to avoid unpaved roads, the software can check the value of the
> > surface key, but in practice most (all?) of the navigation software
> > only checks for a subset of all the possible values the surface key
> > can have. This leads to incorrect (in terms of what the user expects)
> > navigation when, for example, the surface is set to some value that
> > describes an unpaved road, not recognized by the navigation software –
> > if the software assumes that all highways are paved, unless explicitly
> > stated otherwise (by recognized values of known keys), then, in
> > consequence, it assumes that the road in question is paved.
> >
> > If the paved key was widely used, then the navigation software would
> > have a simple and clear way of checking whether a given road is paved
> > or not. The default value of the paved key for highways could be yes,
> > so that it would be consistent with the assumption that highways in
> > general are paved.
> >
> > I don't mean that we should stop using the paved and unpaved values
> [...]

Verbeter de wereld. Word mapper voor Openstreetmap
<http://www.openstreetmap.org>.