On Monday 27 October 2014, Ilpo Järvinen wrote:

> IMHO, the most controversial thing in this all is that the approach
> Christoph is proposing would require us to not map natural=bay but
> "natural=bay_entry" instead, and that is obviously exactly where the
> fuzzy part is. That is, a mapper would be forced to place bay nodes
> into the place where nobody can say for sure if it's in the bay or
> not.

Then you have misunderstood me - i am not suggesting any change to the
current mapping practice (including the option to map as a polygon when
deemed appropriate by the mapper).

If you want to formulate a formal mathematical rule for where the node
for a bay is best placed: Place it so the variance of the distance of
the node to the bay's shores is minimized.  Most existing nodes comply
with this rule remarkably well.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/