and the line between public and private is not one OSM singles out very much
(is is a public school vs a private school?), but things are separated by
function. and the functions are of a civic government (pnsion offices, taxes,
judicial, etc). I would use the word "public" or “government” but civil
(opoopsite of military or company use) is a good fit, and civic is basically
“for civil”, so it works well enough - and matches a pre-existing approved
building subtag.

Javbw