To help us making up our minds which tag to prefer, or to check
if we should use two of them, I have started a table of use cases
that would suit one ore the other tag class better, and started
with some examples, on the Talk page.

Tom Pfeifer wrote on 2014-11-05 11:21:
Matthijs Melissen wrote on 2014-11-05 01:27:
 > I might have missed it in the discussion, but why not simply
 > landuse=governmental?

Well that was among my first ideas, hence the subject of this thread.
We are currently collecting the arguments for each potential tags on the
Talk page, feel free to contribute there or here:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/landuse%3Dcivic#Alternative_values

I start thinking that we might need even two tags, one for the civic/municipal
cases
and one for the govenmental/administration ones.