> I don't think we need a civic subkey in landuse. When I see the
> growing list, it will finally generate very small landuse polygons in
> OSM. This is not the intend of the OSM "landuse".

there is no indication of this, the wiki remains very generic and doesn't
say anything useful. "small" is completely ambiguous, is an ant small?
Compared to a bacterion?

> We put "tax",
> "immigration" or "legislative" into the buildings where these services
> are.

you are presuming that those have to take place in "buildings"?
I agree with you that we should not use landuse instead of actual keys
which describe (in the end also in a detailed level) functions like a
specific government office. I'd want to use osm to see where I can get a
new passport in the future. There are lots of different government agencies
and offices? So what, let's start and we'll adapt and refine with the time
to come to something useful.

> Otherwise, it is endless. We could create a subkey for
> "landuse=residential" with "residential=home" or "residential=garage"
> or "residential=toilets_in_the_garden"

Actually I would prefer a different direction for "residential" subtyping,
something which describes
- the urban structure (might be also done with automatic analysis up to a
certain point, given that a lot of data is available (including building
types and heights, which makes this hard to realistically come true in the
next years).
- the density (could maybe be done with population if data was available,
also )

there will be more people with even more ideas and classification needs.
Therefor the foo=bar, bar=x way of subtyping, which implies there is only
one kind of subtyping, should generally be deprecated in favor of more
verbose subtyping-keys like foo=bar, bar:property=x

More than for residential, I see a missing piece in industrial. In Germany,
there are 2 quite different types of what in OSM both is industrial:
Gewerbegebiet and Industriegebiet, which in OSM could be translated to
industrial subtypes.

cheers,
Martin