On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 02:13:07PM +0100, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> > According to the approved
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Club
> > chess has an own club=chess, as has fishing, automobile, hiking - all
> > of which can be either leisure type or sport type activities.
> >

> I think "club=automobile" for a motorsport / racing club would not be very
> well chosen as this might really mean a lot of different things, some of
> them clearly neither "leisure" nor "sport", e.g. the "ADAC" (biggest German
> automobile club, almost every 4th German is a member,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADAC ) does organize also some racing event,
> but is mostly seen as kind of insurance if your car breaks down (and as
> very strong political lobbyist advocating mainly individual motorized
> traffic).
>
> Documentation of the club tag is very scarse at the moment:
> http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Key:club and I am not sure how it can be improved,
> e.g. if I wanted to write something about club=automobile, would I have to
> write to all the mappers that have put these 127 club=automobile on the
> map, to ask what they have used the tag for?

I think much the same problem exists with other club=value as well like
club=chess? Nevertheless.. you may walk by a building with a tag something
like a "chess-club" and if it is mapped as club=chess it is "correct".
It is also fairly un-informative but we are supposed to map what we see
and not do background checks of clubs with google or wikipedia?

Richard