> just tag the amenity with playground=yes.

That doesn't work. We have a 20 km^2 airport. Will you really tag it with a
20 km^2 playground (child_area)?

>  that I feel it's hopeless to try to tag it.
For the same reason you prefer hotels over motels or hostels. There many
differences but you cannot tag them precisely or decide which properties
you will need and which are available in OSM. In the end you will simply
search for hotels first and then motels, etc.