> When you ask to have it rendered, one of the arguments for not doing so
is that those extra fields are not imported in the DB specifically set up
for rendering. It's considered too complicated,
if data is clean and consistent, conversion process should be easy even for
legacy renders or routing software. We should work on documentation for
more user friendly tools (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis/Writing_Plugins)

If you know structure your information, there nothing complex for you. In
most situations you say when some old tag should be replaced with newer
version. But I do agree conversion software support may be not the ATM or
poorly documented.

> route_ref:De_Lijn=1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;284;285;310;315;316;317;
333;334;335;337;351;352;358;370;371;372;373;374;380;395;
520;524;525;537;586;597
It is possible to get sting

route_ref:De_Lijn=8;9;284

from keys in database

*route_ref:De_Lijn:8=yes*

*route_ref:De_Lijn:9=yes*
*route_ref:De_Lijn:284=yes*

I want to see bolded keys in database directly, for now tag with short key
and multuple namespaced tags may duplicate each other. But you will also
benefit from this. As I said previously, you can use queries like this:

*"route_ref:De_Lijn:284"="yes" and "**route_ref:De_Lijn:10"!=** — this
query will capture missing 10 and present 284. You will spend hours for
learning regexes for yourself and teaching other users how to use regex.

Now, after you realized "10" was missing, you have to enter this value at
correct position in "1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;284;285;310;315;316;317;
333;334;335;337;351;352;358;370;371;372;373;374;380;395;
520;524;525;537;586;597".

You have sorted values already. But you dont need sorting to paste new
tag *"route_ref:De_Lijn:10"="yes".
JOSM may sort or even hide tags for you, don't do computer job.*

Also you get benefits from taginfo if your keys *route_ref:De_Lijn: *are
popular, you can redirect taginfo users to wiki page about your project or
tagging scheme.

Back to your problem. After tags are in database, you may develop universal
plugin for JOSM that will do very simple thing:

for defined set of tags (*route_ref:De_Lijn:, fuel:, cruisine: *and others)
it will glue their values together only for you. You may edit them as
usual, but after it should somehow (it will be less tricky than everyone
learn regex and ;; escaping) convert this string to the original keys.

Does this make sense for you? Will you adapt this approach?