(I think of the roads we drove in Kenya), so any input is welcome even if it
isn't perfect. We ran into some nasty surprises during our trip because the
road quality wasn't tagged at all.

+1.

I also widely use smoothness=* in Madagascar. Indeed, I use it to describe practicability of roads or tracks for 4 wheels motor vehicles, in somehow to answer the question: what kind of vehicle do I need to use this road?

Despite using it often, I still have to check the wiki time to time to be sure about values definition. I even more dislike tracktype=gradeN that is using numerical values.

Maybe, it is time to define a new key/values. We already have mtb:scale and sac_scale.

For instance, practicability for cars:

practicability=*

practicability=no (damaged road)
practicability=tractor_only
practicability=fourwheeldrive_only (and not 4WD_only to avoid abbreviation)
practicability=highclearance_only
practicability=normal (default value)
practicability=lowclearance

Subjectivity still remains. One may consider a road as usable with a high clearance car because it is used by 404 taxi-brousse when another one may not want to use his Porche Cayenne SUV on it.

It doesn't really describe smoothness. A road usable with normal vehicles may be driven at 100 km/h or 20 km/h, depending on smoothness.

One may define some side scales like:

practicability:bicycle=mountainbike_only/trekkingbike_only/citybike/all(defaut)
practicability:motorcycle=*

My 0,02 €.

Eric