> On Apr 7, 2015, at 6:45 AM, Ilpo Järvinen <ilpo.jarvi...@helsinki.fi> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 6 Apr 2015, fly wrote:
>
>> Even entrance=staircase seems to be problematic as it overlaps with
>> entrance=main and entrance=service.
>
> No it doesn't. The entrance is either entrance=staircase or
> entrance=service so I see entrance=staircase as a sort of subclass
> of entrance=main. And BTW, the main condition "backdoor" that is used in
> the comment of entrance=service pretty ambiguous to begin with. This is
> especially true in many case with building=apartments doors leading to
> staircases from both sides (this comes with an experience of pretty many
> entrance=staircase nodes mapped) but this might of course somewhat depend
> on country/area/suburb.

entrance=* looks like it has the “title” of the entrance, and there are several
entrance types.

Usually entrances have official or unofficial names, and just having “main”
“service” and other ones means that the other standard types of entrances that
one sees in daily life should be accounted for - leaving gaps in the tagging
leads to bad tagging.

if you are going to have main, & service, the idea of visitor entrance and
employee  entrance  (to a large corporate building) is really common, as well
as a handful of other standard entrance types.

Student came to mind to me because is it a common entrance type in the country
I am at, and guessed really low - apparently there are hundreds of thousands of
elementary schools alone in Japan - each would have an entrance=student, let
alone middle schools and high schools.

We label car access doors differently (hood-bonnet  / trunk-boot ) and then
discuss what is in them. Although this seems to be a little bit of a
duplication, naming things what they are in the tag itself (as we do with many
other tags - building comes to mind) and then refining via access= seems
proper.

If we are able to differentiate the entrances, then renderers can choose what
class of entrances to ignore (aka don’t render entrance=house entrance=service
entrance=emergency) rather than just choosing not to render access=private, as
some of those might still be worth rendering.

I thought this might prevent pollution of access=with inconsistent tags...

If it is truly a bad idea to create further entrance=* tags, then how to tag
other kinds of various entrances (with tag combos) should be added to the
entrance wiki so someone doesn’t just come and add a bunch of values w/o asking
the tagging list.

Javbw.