On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 8:44 PM, johnw <jo...@mac.com> wrote:

> If it is truly a bad idea to create further entrance=* tags, then how to
> tag other kinds of various entrances (with tag combos) should be added to
> the entrance wiki so someone doesn’t just come and add a bunch of values
> w/o asking the tagging list.

Sometimes you have to just run with what you've got.  Creating a whole new
separate scheme creates it's own sort of mess, especially if done timidly.

I encourage you to come up with a good, relatively non-overlapping set of
entrance tags, and then
define what happens if they need combining ( e.g.  entrance=student;visitor
? )

entrance=main
entrance=staircase
<http://taginfo.openstreetmap.com/tags/entrance=staircase>
entrance=service
entrance=student
entrance=alternate

The real tag pollution occurs when people tag too many types of entrances.
Then the rendering becomes harmful,
and the map guides you to an entrance you can't use.  But since that's
inevitable, you need to provide tags that more focused rendering can ignore.