What I try to say is that you should not map  a important road  for large
distances as "secondary + works_as_primary" just because it is a smaller,
has a different surface, a different ref or whatever.
Then (large distance, important road) it is a primary road IMHO, regardless
of any other tags.

If one downgrades such a road to secondary, the router can no longer prefer
it over other (real secondary) roads. (as you wrote)

Perhaps Ralph Aytoun expressed it better. But I tried to say the same as he.
Of course we shouldn't tag secondary or primary roads as trunk road or
motorways, but secondary & primary roads should only be tagged based on
their function, not on their appearance.

regards