W dniu 29.07.2015 17:01, Martin Koppenhoefer napisał(a):

This is admittedly only the German situation but my guess is that many
other countries operate in a similar way (i.e. do have more complex
road classes internally than what is visible from signposted ref).

We have similar discussion about class of roads in Poland (this part is in English, because the guest user joined):

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=519584#p519584

I was also asking few days ago about "internal" classification in different countries, because the proposed scheme for Poland was:

highway:class:pl=S/A/GP/G
highway:category:pl=2/4/6/7 (the number is the same as the corresponding admin_level)

[ https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2015-July/025649.html ]

I am interested in rendering road (and railway) networks on the world level for default OSM map style. Currently it's probably not possible, but I guess what users expect is to see the - more or less - regular network for all the countries and regions, regardless of technical/local highway class or category changes. Any gap there mean we're drifting away from the functional model, which is needed there instead of purely technical one. But maybe if we have the local technical classifications tagged, we could use global classes for such a functional view? Or maybe there is another approach to show such coherent transport networks?

--
"The train is always on time / The trick is to be ready to put your bags down" [A. Cohen]