sent from a phone

> Am 29.07.2015 um 15:08 schrieb Andrew Guertin <andrew.guer...@uvm.edu>:
>
> I think that this breaks a router's idea that primary is "better" than
> secondary, and I think that this problem is exactly why people advocate for
> not following official classification.

I believe the term "official classification" is often mistaken or at least not
thoroughly looked at. Often there is more than one official classification:
visible and obvious is the maintaining entity, e.g. the country, state or
municipality level, but what is not so well known and not visible easily is the
conceptual level/class of connection roads (importance of connection) which
together with the estimated traffic intensity and available funds and
topographical setting and political processes determine the actual road that
will be built (or enhanced).

E.g. in Germany the official classification that  most people are aware of is
Bundesstraße (nationwide network)
Landesstraße (state maintained network)
Kreisstraße (Landkreis maintained network, slightly bigger than municipality)

But if you look at the planning guidelines and  standards you will see much
more different types, e.g here:
https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbindungsfunktion#Verbindungsfunktionsstufen

there are
~categories (A-E, inside or outside of settlements, with or without adjacent
buildings)

~levels of connection functions (I - VI, what does the road connect)

The result of the combination of these 2 groups is the road class (e.g. B III),
in theory 30 different classes, but not all combinations make sense.

This is admittedly only the German situation but my guess is that many other
countries operate in a similar way (i.e. do have more complex road classes
internally than what is visible from signposted ref).

Cheers,
Martin