The Montgomery ward's department store in my old hometown was turned into a
Walmart (2 stories) but most department stores in California are 1-2 floors
(with most targets and walmarts being 1 story).  Most supermarkets are one.
Size is the only difference in their construction, and often near each other,
built by the same construction companies, paid by the same landowners.

I can totally see that in some countries (and especially for certain brands)
there would be easily defined building types, but All of them are retail
buildings. They should at least be called retail buildings. To many people, the
brand logo out front and the color choice of the paint will signal that it is a
market or a dept store far beyond it's architecture, in most cases.

 The difference between a large drug store, a supermarket, a department store,
and a DIY store in rural Japan is almost non-existent (Besia, Besia fashion,
Sekichu, Kawachi stores). Interestingly, most electronics shops are "on stilts"
- first floor is parking, second floor is is the main floor. In Tokyo,
everything is crammed into the bottom floors of multi-story buildings, with the
supermarkets in the basements of large buildings or malls - there are very few
dedicated buildings to a single store if it is large - especially supermarkets.
They end up being leaseholders in the basement of a large residential or
business office building, or in the basement of large department stores or
malls. The rest of the city is a sea of mixed use little tiny house sized
buildings (shop on the bottom, house up top) for which, AFAIK, we still do not
have a proper mixed-use tag (urban nor rural)

Javbw