I forgot to mention, as most supermarkets are part of large shopping centres
(shops ringing a parking lot). the building is built, and the market or
whatever is merely a leaseholder.  Many are purpose built inside to be a
certain one, but the architecture matches all the other (smaller) shops in the
shopping centre. This means the leaseholder has very little say in the
architecture choice.  Most of the older supermarkets I know are newer
leaseholders in old locations in older centres with distinct styling - without
the signs on the front, you couldn't know where one shop stopped and the other
began.

Javbw