On 01.09.2015 10:38, Anders Fougner wrote:
> My proposal in case someone wants to help beginners with the surface tag:
> *Illustrate* the surface hierarchy somewhere in the OSM wiki (e.g. at
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:surface>).
> Right now the hierarcy is not illustrated, it is just in two tables (unpaved
> and paved). An illustration works better, and the hierarchy can have more
> than two levels.
>
> Place surface=paved and surface=unpaved at the top, surface=ground etc on
> the next level and probably surface=wood, clay, mud, etc. at the bottom.

It's similar to the access hierarchy, so we could illustrate the tree in the
same way.

However, be aware that the more levels you create, the more likely we'll
encounter the multiple-parents problem. E.g. when we declare a group for
natural surfaces and one for artificial surfaces, then we need to put gravel
and sand into both groups, which makes it too complicated.