On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 07:28:39PM -0500, John Eldredge wrote:
> I find shop=trade too generic to be useful, as there are many different
> trades besides the building-construction trades.

Where does that constraint come from? You can have the subtag trade take
pretty well any relevant value. Building_materials just happened to be
the original motivation.

As for "white-collar" and such, that seems to be some sort of local
class distinction. There is absolutely no such intention in the original
proposal. Rather "trade" suggests "professional", and as such perhaps to
be admired and emulated.

But really it was invented as a way to tag clear groups of places that
had no obvious existing tags, and using the subtag had the great
advantage that applications did not have to know all the possible
values of "trade". Applications can just include them in, say, a group
of shop POIs in the vicinity. The user can then inspect and decide which are of
interest.

Having a plethora of slightly different main tags seems an inferior
approach. But again, the subtag trade again has the vast advantage
that it is completely compatible with as many main tags as needed.
Some values of trade might become redundant if a new main tag is
invented, but that is ok.

What am I missing?

ael