On 18/12/2015 00:23, johnw wrote:

On Dec 16, 2015, at 8:38 PM, Philip Barnes <p...@trigpoint.me.uk <mailto:p...@trigpoint.me.uk>> wrote:

Isn't the term public_bath somewhat outdated?

Google search 温泉 in Japan

https://www.google.com/maps/search/温泉 /@36.3099717,138.9777321,11z <https://www.google.com/maps/search/%E6%B8%A9%E6%B3%89/@36.3099717,138.9777321,11z>

several thousand red dots will show up.

an onsen is subkey value of public bath, documented on the wiki.

some onsen are amenities in a hotel, spa, or mountain inn, but most are stand alone facilities.

this is one of the most common and universal things for friends and family to do after an activity (shopping, vacation, hiking, etc) in Japan.

Go to a amusement park with the family? go to the onsen after.

Going hiking in the monuntains? go to an onsen when done.

Office lunch party? go wine tasting then go go to an onsen in the afternoon.

Yes, this means bathing with classmates, coworkers, and family members (almost always gender separated) in a public place.

In the US, “public baths” and very rare, and I don’t think I have ever been to one.

in Japan, they are part of every day culture.

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=onsen&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvxtPckOTJAhVjKaYKHdaFBf8QsAQIRQ&biw=1311&bih=834#imgrc=_

In England, public swimming pools were often called 'swimming baths' until the late 20th century. The 'public baths' were understood to refer to a building containing a swimming pool for public use. If you go back further, I think these establishments did actually provide washing facilities for those, especially the urban poor, who didn't have bath-tubs in the home, and were provided as a public-health measure.

--
Steve

---