On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 11:23:27AM +0100, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> On 19 December 2015 at 03:11, John Willis <jo...@mac.com> wrote:
> > I would call it leisure=aquatic_center if it is based around pool based
> > exercise/ sports/ competition and leisure=water_park for recreation (like a
> > theme park with slides and splashing and tube pools and whatnot.
>
> I like this one, and I think going with two main tags, water_park and
> aquatic_centre (I think we should use UK spelling), is a viable
> option.

I have only skimmed this thread, but as a native British English
speaker, I have to say, as others have mentioned, that these will
be completely misunderstood in the UK.

A water park is typically a natural area with lakes mainly for wildlife,
although perhaps boating and maybe, just maybe but very rarely, swimming.
But not a swimming pool (well, perhaps there are exceptions).

An aquatic centre would normally contain aquaria with typically sea
creatures, often associated with research. A sort of sea-museum.
Definitely no swimming pool, although I suppose that a very eccentric
such centre might offer the experience of swimming with dolphins, but I
doubt it.

As for better terms, swimming_pool is widely understood.
swimming_facility is a bit ugly but perhaps. I don't really have any
good suggestions, although something like sports_centre with
a sub-tag swimming=yes seems to capture most such places in a natural
way.

ael