On 13.01.2016 23:46, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
We currently use British English for almost all OSM tags. Jewellery
shops however are typically tagged with the American English variant
shop=jewelry (20083 occurrences), and hardly ever with the British
English variant shop=jewellery (187 occurrences). Editors and data
consumers only support the American variant.

so I propose to accept it as it is. It is accepted tagging. Keep in mind that we don't have any formal "approval" process for tagging. If something is in active use then it is considered approved.

The benefit to have any different spelling is small to non-existent.

Situation would be different if it would cause conflicts or misinterpretation (think of the "gym" tagging). But here I don't see any such conflict.

And as others already mentioned: It is recommended to use, BE, not required.

Stephan