On 16/01/2016 3:40 PM, John Willis wrote:

On Jan 16, 2016, at 9:12 AM, Colin Smale <colin.sm...@xs4all.nl <mailto:colin.sm...@xs4all.nl>> wrote:

If they should be improved .. or discouraged .. then do that as separate issues.

If you want to fix a problem, don't replace it with another one.

Then I will work on a civic building / civic office something extension this week.
Two different things - so two different tags;
... one a physical thing - the building (building=yes being the least specific, for a building full of clerks ? building=clerical?) ... one a service thing - the office .. office=administration ? office=tax (that looks to be common :) )

All the counties use admin levels, right? We should also be able to use admin level tags to denote the government level rather than relying on words.

Have to rely on words to translate the 'level' into something 'we' understand. The problem remains.

However, defining the office types will surely run into odd combinations ( like the American Alcohol - tobacco - guns dept), so the the system will have to have a whole bunch of civic:foobar=yes or civic:category:foobar=yes,
Yes.
as well as support for names of the department., like operator or brand or chain something (many many offices are branches of a main office, or a "chain" of offices related to each other).

Again yes.

I will try to get something setup - and something to go with landuse - so we have a solution for o plug into fill this hole.

Landuse ... is also a problem .. some have more than one 'use'.
 An example.
In Australia there are 'water catchment' areas - to gather drinking water. They have secondary functions of flora and fauna preservation. The areas are fairly large to allow for periods of little (to no, though that is more a storage volume problem) rainfall of up to 5 years.

In the UK there are 'water catchment' areas too .. also to gather drinking water. They also function as farms .. etc... I think the little to no rainfall problem here was 2 weeks... to put the reliability of rainfall in perspective.

So there needs to be a way of multiple landuses.. some with priority, others without priority... some mixed - for example a primary use, and many secondary. I have not thought greatly on it. But that is at least some of the landuse problem.

Hopefully I'll have something to show this week.

Good. Don't envy you it. Rather get on with some actual mapping at the moment.

Javbw.