sent from a phone

Il giorno 17 apr 2016, alle ore 17:33, ael <law_ence....@ntlworld.com> ha
scritto:

>> In en_US, alley is generally a road where you can drive, but which is so
>
> Here British usage is different. You can seldom drive on a alley.  It
> may be the historical root is the same: in the days of narrow
> horse-drawn vehicles, maybe an alley would allow passage and that was
> the historical meaning. Most alleys in the UK will have bollards or such
> to prevent anything beyond bicycles. However they are typically wider
> than normal paths.  You see why we need a clear definition? From your
> description, I can't see why highway=service with a width tag would not
> cover a US alley.

in Italy there are many alleys in historical village and urban centers,
sometimes they are footways (legally) but often they are just narrow streets,
so narrow that a car often won't pass, but a motorcycle can take it. I bet this
situation is not so rare in other countries with a significant amount of
2-wheeled traffic and old urban structures (and not so much regulation).

I believe that this kind of way is significantly different from a residential
street and should have its own tag (also because it makes using the data for
rendering and routing much easier). I'm using (and I know others do as well)
highway=service with service=alley for these. They are not the typical service
way, because legally they are roads, often the only road to access the
buildings along it.

If there is maxwidth signposted I obviously add a maxwidth tag as well, but
often there isn't (ideally I could measure the narrowest part myself and add
this as width, but I typically don't do it, and width is not the only
criterion, sharp bends and corners also come into play).

cheers,
Martin