As we have seen from the nursing home discussion, there is a continuum of
variations
of such facilities, with overlapping concepts.

In OSM we need to decide, how many distinctive tags we need.

There was a clear need to separate group_home from nursing_home.

I'm not convinced yet that we need to separate assisted_living from
retirement_home.
capacity=N can express how institutional the facility feels.

There is certainly a general trend to provide such social services on a smaller
scale, e.g. children are not locked into dormitory-style orphanages
anymore but cared for in family-like group-home structures, and the elderly
live in smaller units equipped with their own furniture.

There is also major research going on to support and monitor certain
Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) electronically, e.g. with the upcoming
Internet of Things, with a clear target to keep people independent longer
and to cope with escalating nursing cost.

tom