> On Sep 18, 2016, at 09:00, tagging-requ...@openstreetmap.org wrote:
>
> How could the concept of upstream and downstream be applied to canals
> and lakes?

Open, and non-flowing waterways have a direction of buoyage, that can be
interpreted as direction of flow. This system is defined per country, for
example Norwegian open water keep green to starboard when sailing North or in
fjords, this can be interpreted as water flowing towards South.

I cannot give a more general concept, as each country defines this rule for
themselves.

For the Great Lakes I believe (but will have to check up to confirm), have
defined water flow towards the lower lakes.

Aun