+1 The former means the building, while the latter means the oven
itself, but more important, the former is for baking bread and
such only, while the latter is for all kinds of heating and
smelting purposes.

Also, I agree with Kevin. A kiln, never an oven, is for firing ceramics or
bricks and the word "oven" would never refer to a building.

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 11:34 PM, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny+...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> As a native speaker of US English, I'd surely be perplexed to see a bakery
> oven called a 'kiln'. Kilns are for making goods like bricks, pottery and
> quicklime. The word is essentially never used for an oven for baking breads
> or pastries.
>
> On Oct 13, 2016 7:59 AM, "Tom Pfeifer" <t.pfei...@computer.org> wrote:
>
>> On 13.10.2016 13:18, markus schnalke wrote:
>>
>>> [2016-10-13 13:05] Yvan Masson <yvan.mas...@openmailbox.org>

>>> I much appreciate this proposal.
>>>
>>> My local mapping group (UlmerAlb) has missed this tag already.
>>> We'll be happy to provide information about the situation in
>>> south-west Germany.
>>>

>> Isn't that covered by man_made=kiln already?
>> The English definition mentions baking, and the German page has a picture
>> of an over for baking.
>>
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Tag:man_made%3Dkiln
>>
>> tom

Dave Swarthout