Sven, your approach makes sense assuming people only look at maps of their own country. Yes, I agree its respectful to people living in a non english speaking country but really does not address a much larger problem.

As a native English speaker, I often turn to OSM to help me understand some of the global issues around at present. But even now, many of the place names are rendered in local language, quite unreadable to me. As has been suggested, a database of names in every conceivable language would be a ideal, then a renderer can deliver a map readable in an appropriate language. That does sound like wikidata ....

So, I suggest its possible your solution improves a small aspect of a larger problem but just perhaps also makes that larger problem even worse ?

David