I don't see how going from "typology" you conclude it's strictly about
form. Typology is about types, not saying with respect to what.
When you look at top building values in Taginfo, it's clear to me
these state purpose (house, residential, garage, apartments,
industrial, school and so on), with only exception being hut, other
non-purpose values from the first page are in fact non-buildings
(roof).