> On Apr 18, 2017, at 9:24 AM, Greg Troxel <g...@lexort.com> wrote:
>
> Another thing to think about is the planned location of shelters, and to
> tag places that are pre-designated as possible shelters

if a region or a country has designated evacuation sites/refuges/shelters/ for
evacuees to use, mapping them with some granularity might be very useful.

The red cross might have people stay in a (designated) school gymnasium
overnight if there is flooding somewhere nearby - but if the “places of refuge”
are used - something very bad has happened in the region.

Refuges/shelters/sites are signed everywhere here in Japan.

Similar to public fallout shelters in the US, many public places in Japan have
signs designating them as a "place of refuge” if an earthquake/tsunami forces
you to leave your house. They are usually open-air places (school yards, parks,
etc) to minimize the chance one could be unusable from a severe earthquake and
inevitable fires afterwards in cities. They are often places with a large
covered shelter (a gymnasium or other reinforced steel building that could be
used as shelter from the weather), such as a middle school, in the rural areas.

Places might have different types of evacuation sites - in this example, they
have “evacuation sites” and “evacuation shelters” - sites are merely “safe”
high ground from tsunamis, while shelters have some kind of facilities to
actually help displaced people (who probably just lost their house).

https://tonyj2japan.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/80narapark1.jpg
<https://tonyj2japan.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/80narapark1.jpg>

The closest evacuation center to my house has different “classifications”
listed - as in what kinds disasters it is good for. this means if we are
tagging evacuation sites - there needs to be some kind of usage/shelter type /
disaster type data.

http://www.city.kiryu.lg.jp.e.wt.hp.transer.com/shisetsu/hinanjo/1008530/1006906.html

<http://www.city.kiryu.lg.jp.e.wt.hp.transer.com/shisetsu/hinanjo/1008530/1006906.html>

Javbw